Baby Seale #2

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sore Gums + Pointy Teeth = No Fun



So November 1st (2 days ago) Peter cut his first tooth. It is his lower gums, on the right/center. According to this chart he is early. Not one of the things I would jump for joy for being early. Every baby cuts teeth differently. I think out of all of my "baby momma" friends, Peter may be the first to cut teeth, and he is not the oldest.

I feel so bad for him. And to make matters worse yesterday he starts cutting the one right next to it. So Momma and Peter have slept very little in the last few days. We've tried teething gel, teething rings (which he doesn't really care for) and tylenol. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hurry up teeth, come in already!!!

And to quote my grandparents, "How the heck do you convince a baby that the time has changed."

Well, they didn't use this exact quote. Actually the quote they used was with a cow, not a baby. But I think the same concept applies. Peter has not adjusted to the time change yet. Bummer.

4 comments:

Melissa Malloff said...

There are homeopathic tablets that you dissolve in water and then rub on their gums... John and Julia Martin used them with James and they worked like a charm! I have heard from a few other parents that they are great, and have replaced the whole craziness of rubbing rum/whisky on the gums. Also, do you have a mesh spoon? They are great for babies that are getting teeth. You can put any soft, or moderately hard food in them and then Peter can suck on it, or nibble it but wont ever get a chunk that is too big, they seem to be quite popular! Best of luck to you!!

Melissa Rabinowitz said...

At HEB they carry a pacifier type teething thing called a rasbaby . . it is bumpy and you can put ora-gel on it . . . Maddi used one up until a few months ago and it may be the only thing that got us through teething.

Rachel said...

Wow! That's so cool! I don't have any great advice about what to give him to relieve the pain, but just encouragement that it's only part of the process and will be over eventually!

I will say that June really enjoys gnawing on my finger, placed horizontally across her mouth. She really chomps down on it, and it's a little painful sometimes, but it helps her relieve the pressure on her gums, so I don't mind.

See you later!

Lisa Dalton said...

Some other crazy things I've heard/done: Get a baby washcloth wet and wring it out, Roll it up into a little tight burrito and freeze it. He can suck on it and chew on it with no pieces to break off/no mess. Or if he doesn't do the binky thing, there are these harder binkies they give you at the hospital. Sometimes they are teal. You can get them at Target. My kids loved to chew on them when they cut their first tooth. You could hear them squeak squeak squeaking away on the smooth plastic with their gums. None of them took binkies or were ever interested in them other than that. :) Good luck Mama! Every baby is different. You just have to keep trying to figure out his style.